Earthwise CPS40108 8-Inch 18 Volt Cordless Pole: Power over its Light Weight
I have some trees on our property that I’ve been meaning to cut down for about three years now. Since I’ve had so many other projects to work on, I gave very low priority to this job. I finished up some of the bigger projects this year and finally got serious plans laid out to clear those trees out.
Item number one on my list was to get a new chainsaw just for the job. I’ve been itching to get a new one, and since this job required some cutting power, I had a good excuse to buy one. As I researched the different saws available, I noticed that Earthwise saws were getting some pretty good customer reviews. I’d never heard of the company before, but I thought the reviews were enough reason to try one out.
I opted for the Earthwise CPS40108 8-Inch 18 Volt Cordless Pole. Most of the trees that I had to cut were smaller maples, so I didn’t want to get a huge chain saw. The Earthwise model seemed to be the perfect size, and I was curious to see if a cordless model could actually do all the things I had read about in the chain saw reviews I read.
I got my Earthwise CPS40108 8-Inch 18 Volt Cordless Pole delivered, took it out of the box and charged it up. While it was charging I read the instructions and felt like I was ready to give it a go.
I easily took out about 5 small trees that day and lopped some bigger branches off of a few others. This saw does have good cutting power. The fact that it runs on a rechargeable battery made it considerably quieter than gasoline powered chain saws, which is nice when you’re out doing a lot of cutting.
- 18 volt motor
- 8-Inch bar and chain
- Automatic oiling mechanism
- Oil level window – for easy viewing of oil levels
- Useful green touch points. The Earthwise CPS40108 8-Inch 18 Volt Cordless Pole has these green touch points to learn how to cut with the tool efficiently. I’ve used chain saws before, so didn’t get much use out of them, but I’ve been teaching my 16 year old how to use the saw and they are helpful for him.
- This saw is lighter than any other saw I’ve ever used. Compared to gas powered chain saws this thing is like a feather. It’s easier to keep cutting for a long time when you have a nice, sturdy, but light, chain saw.
- Good safety feature. The safety cover on the tip of the saw is a nice addition. This is another feature that didn’t mean too much to the way I use it, but is a great safety feature for new chain saw users.
- Needs you to exert some force. You have to use a bit more force to push through logs, due to how light the Earthwise CPS40108 8-Inch 18 Volt Cordless Pole is. This isn’t the worst thing in the world, but it takes a few tries to get it down pat.
- Average battery life. I wish the battery lasted longer. I usually get around 3 hours of work done per charge, which isn’t all that bad, but I would like to see it get closer to 6 hours. Of course battery technology is what it is, so I can’t complain too much.
This is a great saw for felling small trees of up to 6” in diameter. It is also useful for taking down branches and trimming brush. Our property has plenty of trees and brush growing, so I end up using this chain saw quite a bit. I love how lightweight and easy it is to use, and the power, while not overwhelming, is just enough for the smaller jobs around the yard.