This post may contain affiliate links. This small commission costs you nothing and allows us to write more great power tool reviews for you.
The Newest from Tanaka: The TCS33EDTP/12 12 Inch Chainsaw
Do you struggle with maintaining your shrubbery and trees? It may be time to invest in a chain saw to ease your workload. Chain saws have been around for almost 90 years, making heavier pruning and limb-trimming projects a breeze. If you’ve been searching for an affordable, yet durable chain saw to make the switch from hand clippers, the Tanaka TCS33EDTP/12 is a great solution for your home yard work.
Overview Of The Tanaka Two-Stroke Gas-Powered Top Handle Chain Saw
The Tanaka Two-Stroke has a slightly smaller than average engine, but it still brings enough power to home-pruning tasks and hobby detailing. The included bar is shorter than average but is ideal for handling tight trims. The top handle has an ergonomic grip, and the powerhead is lighter than most gas chainsaws of its class. As a chain saw for the home user, it includes a seven-year consumer warranty.
The 32cc, 1.6 horsepower, commercial-grade engine is PureFire green technology. With its low emissions, using the Tanaka is safer for you and better for the environment. The chain saw meets the requirements of CARB Tier III for use in California. A two-stroke engine allows the saw to work in any orientation, as with most conventional chain saws.
Most consumers found that the chain saw:
- Started on the first or second pull – They reported the starting process reliable after many uses.
- Was not as strong as most commercial-grade saws – Although the saw is advertised as commercial grade, consumers found it fell somewhat short of comparable saws.
- Still met their expectations for the price – At a third of the price of most other saws, the Tanaka was a good, reliable buy.
For most home uses, the Tanaka is enough chainsaw for the money.
The Bar And Chain Set
While the powerhead of the Tanaka is compatible with longer bars, the saw includes a 12-inch Oregon bar and chain set with a 3/8-inch pitch. Designed to provide effective cutting with less kickback, the bar and chain set offer controlled performance with safe operation. A side chain tensioner is perfectly positioned for swift adjustments.
Some benefits of using the included set are:
- A compact size is easier to manage – If you expect to be handling the saw for long periods of time, the shorter bar is a definite plus.
- A shorter bar is better for detail work – Harder-to-reach areas will be easier to tame with a shorter bar.
A disadvantage of using the included hardware is that it may take more time. A longer bar gives you more surface area to work with, and it can trim larger, open areas more quickly.
Handling, Safety, And Your Investment
Ease of handling is an important point in saw safety. The Tanaka’s powerhead is constructed in their “Inspire” design. It is light and compact, weighs in at 9 lbs., and features a top handle for ultimate control. The handle is also encased in a cushy Elastomer grip, absorbing vibrations and reducing fatigue and tension with handling, providing a safer experience. For conventional consumer use, the seven-year warranty is a definite perk. If you choose to use it in non-rental commercial applications, it includes a two-year warranty. If it is used in rental functions, it includes a one-year warranty.
You would choose this saw if:
- Your yard has smaller-sized shrubbery – If you have many small shrubs, immature trees, and
manageable larger bushes, this would be your best option to maintain your landscape.
- You enjoy pruning as a hobby – If your passion for topiary is becoming too strenuous with hand clippers, this compact chainsaw will bring the joy and freedom back to your hobby.
This saw is not a good option if you have many large shrubs, or thick-limbed trees. If you’re looking to trim large areas of shrubbery or prune more mature trees, this chain saw might fall short of expectations.
There’s no reason to continue using exhausting hand clippers for any of your yard needs. With chain saw technology offering safe, affordable, and environmentally friendly options, the Tanaka TCS33EDTP/12 Two-Stroke saw is a great option for a compact and durable chain saw.